Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Oak Slab - Rustic Bench

Oak Slab-Bench - rustic side up


This item shown (and in several more photos below) is for sale or auction.

I originally bought this oak slab back in the early 1990's. It was one of several pieces I had purchased from the estate of a recently deceased woodworker. The woodworker's son told me his father had been planning to build a fireplace mantle with this slab. The son could not tell me whether this was red or white oak and I have not been able to identify the type of oak either.

I turned the slab into a low bench to put up close to a large bay window. The slab rests on 3 easily removable legs made from white birch. A fourth leg could be added to make the bench more stable. Either side can be positioned as the top. However, I spent much more time finishing the rustic side than the less rustic underside.

The slab is large enough to be reworked for many different proposes depending on your needs. The slab measures approximately 8 1/2 feet long by 3 inches thick and varies 12 to 15 inches wide (due to one rustic unmilled edge).

This slab is very heavy and is available for local pick-up only.

Asking price is $150. Email me if you are interested or have questions.

Paul

Oak Slab-Bench - top rustic detail


Oak Slab-Bench - rustic side down


Oak Slab-Bench - 2 leg side detail


Oak Slab-Bench - 1 leg side detail

No comments: