Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Boxwood

11 lb 3 oz


These Boxwood pieces (more photos shown below) are or will be for sale or auction soon.

Please note that this Boxwood is true Buxus sempervirens (Common Box or European Box).

This is the same wood described in Wikipedia as "Slow growth of box renders the wood ("boxwood") very hard (possibly the hardest in Europe) and heavy, and free of grain produced by growth rings, making it ideal for cabinet-making, the crafting of clarinets, engraving, marquetry, woodturning, tool handles(for chisels), mallet heads and as a substitute for ivory."

This wood is also commonly used for carving highly detailed figurines (such as chess pieces), knife handles, folding wooden rules, miniature model making, and wooden hair combs.

Boxwood is not a common wood (as it is not commercially grown) so large supplies are rarely available. It therefore is very expensive whenever it does become available. A recent (June 2011) auction on e-Bay listed some boxwood (5" x 1" x 1.75" or 5.8 oz.) for $25 plus additional shipping. That works out to about $70 per pound for a small piece of boxwood.

If you are interested in some of the boxwood I am making available please contact me. Once I have sold what I have, I will not be able to obtain more. I intend to sell what I have in large unmilled pieces. If you do not need much you can always resell your excess.

I would prefer to sell these pieces whole (as is). However, due to cost considerations, I will consider cutting some of the larger pieces into smaller less expensive pieces when possible. My asking price is currently $75 per lb. for the pieces as shown. If you want a piece cut from one of the larger pieces the price for that will be $100 per lb.

This wood has air dried for 2 years and has not checked.

See the photos of my boxwood below. The stool top the boxwood is resting on in these photos is 12" x 12". The weights for the larger pieces and are given above each photo.

Paul

8 lb 10 oz


7 lb 8 oz


11 lb 4 oz


18 lb 10 oz


1 lb 15 oz


many stout boxwood pieces about 1 foot long


several longer thinner pieces of boxwood

No comments: